Sunday 22 October 2017

Unfair!

We visited the island of Elba and all the time we watched the Montecristo Island.


So I decided to read the Count of Monte Cristo. Appropriately, right?

I went to the local bookstore and the only translation they had (I don't feel like reading the French original) was a shortened version for children and well... ok, I got it.

The book was quite enjoyable until I reached page 142. It has a footnote:

"Till this sentence, the text is, although a bit shortened, a faithful copy of the first part of the famous novel by Alexandre Dumas The Count of Monte Cristo. The end of the first part as well as the second and third parts were omitted by the translator, who also added her own ending, which differs from the original."

I kid you not.

No comments:

Post a Comment