Monday 15 June 2009

A Long Way Down

I mentioned two weeks ago I was reading A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby and now that I finished reading it - I might as well write something about it. And no, I didn't do much sewing this week, mostly because the weather was too nice and I wasn't spending much time inside. But back to the book.

Well, it's not the best of Hornby. It starts pretty good and promising - as far as four suicidal characters on top of a high building can be promising - but it becomes very mediocre in the second chapter and predictable in the third. It hardly has any good one-liners but has some good passages worth mentioning. So I'll mention a few of them.

The trouble with my generations is that we all think we're f***king geniuses. Making something isn't good enough for us, and neither is selling something, or teaching something, or even just doing something; we have to be something.
Ha! This blog proves he's wrong. This blog is all about making and doing something :-)

It was like finding a door that you'd never seen before in your own house. Would you want to know what was behind it?
I can help it, but this quote reminds me so much of the television series IT Crowd, you know, when suddenly a door appears. Would you want to meet Richmond, the Goth? Well, I would!

"Don't" was a concise way of expressing a profound solution to all my problems.
Probably almost everyone's.

An one last more: Ex-wives: really, everybody should have at least one.

Now you've read some of the best parts (IMO) of the book. If you want the random quotations to make sense, go ahead and read the whole book. Or you can wait a bit - I'm sure they will make a film based on the book. They always do it, don't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment